From BBC News.
A failure of technology in a fire control room led to a seven-minute delay despatching an engine to a restaurant blaze.
The Magpie Cafe in Whitby, North Yorkshire, suffered extensive damage in the fire on 1 May 2017.
The restaurant’s owners believe it was 20 to 25 minutes before a fire engine arrived at the cafe, which is less than a mile from the town’s fire station.
North Yorkshire Fire said the delay was due to a “combination of issues”.
‘Your roof’s on fire’
A fire in the fish and chip restaurant and takeaway broke out on Sunday 30 April and was put out by the fire service, however the next day, a bank holiday, the embers reignited.
Co-owner Alison McKenzie said: “At some point in the afternoon, about half-past two, somebody rang us and said ‘do you know your roof’s on fire?'”
Fellow owner Ian Robson joined staff attempting to fight the blaze using extinguishers, but they were overcome by smoke.
The building sustained extensive damage and did not reopen for seven months.
“The cost of actual rebuild could be roughly around the million pound mark I think,” Mr Robson said.
To read the rest of this story, click on the link below: