They are a part of York entertainment history – and now they have been saved from the wrecking ball.
This row of 180-year-old stone arches once adorned York Theatre Royal – but they have been at 79 Fulford Road since the theatre was remodelled in 1879.
Despite their history, a developer had applied to demolish them last year.
But now planners have given the go-ahead to a new apartment development on the site, which saves the arches.
The building behind the stonework was most recently used as a children’s nursery, but lay empty before it was demolished in recent months.
The site has been at the centre of a lengthy planning wrangle, but this week planners confirmed they were approving plans for a ground floor café in a new building incorporating the arches.
There will be six apartments above and three houses in historic coach house buildings at the back of the site.
To read the rest of this story, click on the link below: