By Cort Johnson in Health Rising.
This is the third in a series of blogs on advocacy topics as we enter into the prime advocacy period of the year.
- ME/CFS Experts Speak Out in #MEAction’s Long Covid Media Conference
- Time to Strike! Sign Up for a Monumental Virtual Lobby Day
“America’s Hidden Health Crisis” – CDC.
The stats are striking. A bit horrifying, to be sure – but certainly very striking.
- Chronic fatigue syndrome is more debilitating than many chronic diseases including multiple sclerosis, chronic renal failure, congestive heart failure, lung cancer, stroke, and type-2 diabetes.
- As many as 75% of patients are unable to work.
- An estimated 25–29% are homebound or bedbound.
- ME/FS costs the U.S. $18–24 billion in lost productivity and medical costs a year.
- Recovery rates are at about 5%.
- There are fewer than 2 dozen nationally recognized experts in the U.S.
To read the rest of this story, click on the link below: